26 November 2011

A Christmas Wedding

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dress: Karen Millen, £160 | Coat: Star by Julien Macdonald, £77 | Wedges: River Island, £60? Last Season | Necklace: M&S, £12.50 | Bag: Peacocks, £10 Sold Out Online| Tights, Primark, £2.50

In December, Jonny's brother, is getting married. Now, i'm all for a wedding; dressing to impress, bit of emotion and a bit of a boogie, excuse for a good old knees up, but when faced with December i became a little baffled. I am never the one who moans about being too hot, but quite the opposite; i am always cold. If you asked my Mr what i moan about the most, it'd most likely be my temperature gage, because i can't go very far without moaning about being a little nippy. So, when i had to begin thinking about what i was going to wear to the wedding, i also began to panic.

I wanted to make sure i was warm, so i didn't have to worry about it, but i also wanted to make sure i look a million dollars; someone the Mr can be proud to have on his arm (he's part of the best man party, you know, complete with tails). I spent the majority of 2 days putting together this look, but have actually only just completed it. I looked in all your usual suspects; Phase Eight, Coast, John Lewis, French Connection; but none of them had that dress. I had actually already visited Karen Millen once that weekend, but totally dismissed all their dresses as nothing took my fancy, and what i did like was black (i have a rule about not wearing black to a wedding; just wrong). In fact, i had already seen this dress but rejected it as i'd seen what i thought was the front, and not liked it. Turns out the back of the dress is a little different to the front; the top half of the reverse is plain black. Don't ask me why, but i'm not a fan of those dresses-that-look-like-tops-and-skirts, so when i saw the black top and stripy skirt it was instantly off my radar, but after getting a little desperate i ventured back to Karen Millen (as i'm a massive Millen fan) to cross my fingers and pray for a miracle. Clearly, the big guy up there was listening and there it was. I knew it was the one before i'd even tried it on, especially as every staff member i walked past couldn't help but gush over what a beautiful dress it was and how they all wanted it too.

I took it to the changing room, and it fit like a glove. As i'd already purchased my footwear months in advance (they were too perfect to pass up on) i had them at the ready to try with any contenders, and it gave the dress a new, edgy look. As i'm not the biggest girly girl, i like to be a little bit different and maybe a little bit fierce; this fit the bill. This dress is a little bandage number, a la Herve Leger, made from a fine knit that's just that little bit warmer that your average occasion wear. It's long enough to keep my dignity but short enough to keep me feeling trendy, a problem i had with a lot of shops; everything made me feel frumpy! It absolutely hugs the figure, but is somehow quite forgiving with your lumps and bumps; good old Karen, she really does know how to cut a fine dress.

Once you've got the base, the rest is easy and just falls into place. For a Winter wedding, you can't wear anything other than fur, faux of course, and when i came across this Julien Macdonald coat in Debenhams with 30% off, i couldn't say no. Again, it's the perfect length; long enough to keep me warm but short enough so i don't feel like a giant teddy bear. My boots were taken care of months ago, during my Summer break on a shopping trip with my best friends. I was worried i wouldn't find fancy enough footwear that would also keep my tootsies warm, but when i laid eyes on these, they were mine the same day. They have good traction on the bottom for any weather incidents that may occur, will we have snow? Who can tell, but i'm not going to risk any head over heels moments, like i said i want to keep my dignity, it is a wedding after all. The rest of it was easy, if you've never experienced Primark super cosy tights, where have you been? They're honestly the best invention i've ever come across, and am surprised more haven't cottoned on. They're basically a cross between tights and leggings, tights with a lining so to speak, and they're super thick, and warm, but also appear sleek and shiny; my perfect tights. The bag and necklace, i sort of just fell across. I happened to be in town the same weekend as the dress fiasco, and saw this same necklace in store M&S but in a blue. I pointed it out to my mum, and we both agreed it was beautiful, so obviously i went online when i got home to find it but decided that blue, black, silver and red would be a little much to a Christmas wedding, but low and behold M&S had answered my wish by producing it in this silvery tone too. I haven't tried it with my dress yet, as they're both at home but i'm hoping it'll all work together nicely. I actually got the bag for only £8 with Peacocks hosting some sort of discount event, causing it to sell out online, but i'm not surprised as it's an absolute bargain and nice and roomy. The clutches i own are the perfect size for a purse, camera, phone and a lippy but as it's going to be weather permitting, i'm gonna need to fit at least an umbrella in there if not a mirror and hair paraphernalia, so it's the perfect fit to take upon the slim red stripes in my dress. (I also have a plain black, basic H&M cardigan to throw on over my dress, under my coat, for the reception when i may want something on my arms but not my big furry coat.)

Overall, i am in love with this outfit and am glad i waited to find the perfect bits, and it's safe to say i'll be nice and snuggly in the minus temperatures. However, it has been pretty mild of late!

I'm so excited to see Paul and Beth finally get married, as i know it'll be a beautiful day; Beth wouldn't have it any other way. I wish them all the happiness in the world and can't wait to share their special day with them, i know it'll be magic.

K|xo
p.s Well done if you got to the end of this post, what an essay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Made By pipdig